Monday, January 31, 2011

Stuff

A few thoughts as we move into the month of February. Hopefully, the fact that pitchers and catchers report in less than two weeks can distract me from the thought of yet another snowstorm bearing down on us.

  • After dithering on a decision for a while, I finally joined The Society for American Baseball Reserach, or SABR. The tipping point for me was a 25% discount on my first year's membership I got as a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame. I'm looking forward to getting involved with the Boston chapter and hopefully attending their next meeting.
  • I'm going to be really interested in following the negotiations between Albert Pujols and the Cardinals over the next couple of weeks. You have to think that Pujols is looking for A-Rod type money. Will the Cardinals pony up? And if they don't, who will? The Yankees and Red Sox are tied up with big contracts at first base for years (assuming the Sox sign Gonzalez). Would another relatively high payroll team make a splash by signing him? There don't seem to be a lot of candidates - Mets, Angels, Cubs? Can you imagine if the Cubs signed Pujols away from the Cardinals? That would amp up the rivalry another few notches.
  • I would really like to get to one of the New York ballparks this year. Tickets for Citi Field will probably be a lot easier to obtain.

No comments:

Post a Comment